For a light or gluten free dessert after a full-course meal or to cleanse one’s palette after a fishy appetizer, a green apple sorbet might be a perfect option. No ice cream machine necessary!
DURATION: 30 MIN (plus 2 hours for freezing) | PREP TIME: 15 MIN | 6 SERVINGS
- 4 granny smith apples
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups apple juice
- Green food coloring
1.Peel, cut, core and coarsely slice the apples.
2. In a saucepan place the apples along with lemon juice, sugar, and apple juice.
3. Boil for approximately 3 to 5 minutes or until soft.
4. Remove the green apple mixture from heat and cool.
5. Place in a blender or food processor and puree the green apple mixture until smooth.
6. Strain and transfer to a container. Stir in droplets of green food coloring, mix well and place the green apple sorbet mixture in the freezer.
7. When the green apple sorbet is completely frozen, remove from the freezer and place in a food processor or blender and puree again. Return to the freezer until ready to use.
8. Ice cream maker option: churn your apple mixture into your ice cream make for 30 minutes or until the consistency is thick and smooth. Place in a container and freeze for a couple of hours. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving.