Say what? It's going to be a record -50 degrees with the windchill factor. BRRR, got-to-love indoor parking on days like these. It's time for a Pinacolada, ocean music, hot yoga and incense. I've decided to cook like it's 25+ degrees outside and this is one of my picks from The Modern Menu kosher cookbook by Kim Kushner. So enjoy, and keep warm!
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4 thick slices brushed with olive oil
- Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1/2 cup of mini bocconcini cheese
- Fresh basil leaves torn in small pieces (well washed)
- 3 tbps of balsamic vinegar
- Black olives to garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Place the eggplant slices in a bowl of water and sprinkle with salt set-aside for 10 minutes
- Prepare a grill or grill pan over high heat on the stove.
- Brush the pan with olive oil pat eggplant slices dry and grill until translucent and charred about three minutes per side.
- Transfer the eggplant to a baking sheet and bake until soft about 10 minutes
- Place the eggplant slices on a serving plate, scatter the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, cheese and then drizzle the tomato oil on top scatter and for the finishing touch, garnish with basil
- And voila, you have a yummy meal!