Continuing from my previous blog post, the day after my Quinn Farm adventure, I had the pleasure of baking these delicious crumble topped muffins with our handpicked blueberries. Like many baking mamas, I also doubled up as a DJ accepting my daughters music requests. They love anything from The Maccabeats, Gad Elbaz, Enrico Macias, Mike Tomkins... Surprisingly, they knew about École Maimonide's Keep it Maimo Style - a Gangnam style french rendition from the high school I graduated from. As a communications consultant geared to non-profits with a strong focus on the education sector, humorous YouTube video's are indeed a great way to promote school spirit, creatively give a glimpse of the school facilities and just be comical. Furthermore, my children got a taste of my high school's francophone Sephardi mentality and culture, which is kinda cool and nostalgic... different from I like to Move It Move It '95 from back in the days. ;)
PREP TIME 15 min | TOTAL TIME 45 min | Makes 16 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat spelt flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk, soya milk or pareve creamer
- 1 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line your muffin tray with 16 muffin liners... pour 1 tbsp. of water in each empty cup.
- In a bowl, mix your 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
For the Crumble Topping
- Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.