More snow, more freezing rain, and the only thing I want to do is shop till I drop. I must of walked a total of 5 hours at the mall yesterday, one of the best 'outdoor' winter workouts I've had this season ;) I love the craziness of last minute x-mas shopping. I love heading to Fairview Shopping center, one of my favorite local malls growing up. From those 25 minutes of finding parking (the parking lot holds well over a thousand vehicles), beautifully displayed windows, lineups at the cashes (oy-vey), line-ups at Starbucks (oy, oy vey) seeing the boxing day signage go-up, overhearing hundreds of people saying, "do I get her this one? Or that one?'... It's a real 2013 marketing\ retail jungle out-there.
So after a day of snow, freezing rain and shopping in some sort of jungle, the only thing I want to eat is a warm bowl of creamy broccoli soup, ah... I love this soup because it's delicious, extremely easy-to-make and perfect for unwinding. Enjoy this one guys!
CREAMY BROCCOLI SOUP WITH MINT AND RICOTTA CHEESE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Prep 15 min| Cooking Time 15 min| Total time 30 min | Serves 4 - 6 | DAIRY
Adapted from Jamie Oliver
2 tbsp of butter
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, cleaned and chopped
1/4 cup of flour
3-4 cups frozen or fresh broccoli
1 tsp of mint
1 cube of parve chicken
3/4 cup of milk
2 1/2 cups of hot water
2 tbsp of mint, rough chopped
1/4 cup of heavy cream, optional
1 tbsp mint, rough chopped
drizzle of olive oil
dollop of ricotta cheese
Pepper to taste
1. In a heavy bottom pot, on medium heat, saute the butter, onions, celery, and mint for 3-4 minutes.
2. Once softened, mix in the flour.
3. Add in the broccoli and kosher salt.
4. Dilute the chicken soup flavor into the hot water and pour it into the broccoli.
5. Cook for 10 minutes, lower heat a bit
6. Blitz with a hand blender or, place the soup into a heat prof bowl, in a a bath of ice, allow to cool and pour it in a blender to blitz for 1 minute.
7. Put the soup back into the pot, add the milk and cook for 4-5 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat. To serve pour the soup in little bowls, add the ricotta, olive oil, ground pepper, rough chopped mint.