Sunday, November 18, 2012

'Nourishing Friends:' A New Mediterranean and Natural Whole Foods Cookbook

I was at my local kosher fish market on Westminster in CSL  in need for some sea lled with a newly released cookbook entitled Nourishing Friends by co-authors Gigi Cohen and Karen Dubrofsky.  Excited at the notion of a new Montreal whole-foods 'fundraising' cookbook, I bought the book without hesitation. Evenmore, Celine Dion was one of benefactors who contributed a foreword in the cookbook.

www.nourishingfriends.com

This cookbook is a concoction between Mediterranean vegetarian 'clean-eating' with a minor Jewish slant. I personally tasted Gigi's lasagna, quinoa burgers and tuna salad in her restaurant; recalling the accentuated tastes of whole-hard veggies blended with just the right combo of oriental spice mixes. So far, I am learning about the basics of hemp seeds, kombu and nutritional yeast. I find her cooking very interesting, a wide range of tofu recipes I never heard of, including Tofu cutlets. The book is truly meant for the vegetarian at heart.

Gigi Cohen opened and ran a kosher cafe on Monkland and Harvard street in Cote-des-Neiges-NDG for a couple of years. She is currently the owne of Juicy Lotus, a vegetarian restaurant and take-out counter and she offers cooking classes.